Duke Student Voter ID Card
Beginning with the 2023 municipal elections, North Carolina voters will be asked to provide photo identification when voting in-person or by absentee ballot. The North Carolina Board of Elections recently approved Duke University’s Student Voter ID Card as a valid form of identification when voting. The Duke Student Voter ID Card is a physical card, separate from the DukeCard, and will be provided to Duke students for free upon request. Students must fill out this form to request a Duke Student Voter ID Card.
The Duke Student Voter ID Card is offered in addition to other types of identification permitted by state law for use by voters. The North Carolina Board of Elections has information on how North Carolina residents–including Duke students registered to vote in North Carolina–can secure a free voter photo ID through the county board of elections and information on other acceptable forms of ID.
The Duke Student Voter ID Card is not a voter registration card. If you wish to use this card to vote in North Carolina, you must be registered to vote in North Carolina. For more information on registering to vote in North Carolina as a Duke student, visit our “Voting in North Carolina” page.
Card request deadline and pickup events:
- Fill out the card request form by September 12, 2023 to pick up your card on September 19th (BC Plaza from 10am-2pm) or September 20th (East Campus Marketplace from 4pm-7pm)
- Fill out the card request form by September 28, 2023 to pick up your card on October 5th (BC Plaza from 1pm-5pm)
- Fill out the card request form by October 11, 2023 to pick up your card on October 18th (BC Plaza from 10am-2pm) or October 19th (East Campus Marketplace from 4pm-7pm)
- Fill out the card request form by October 23, 2023 to pick up your card on October 30th (BC Plaza from 1pm-5pm)
Students must bring their mobile DukeCard or driver’s license to prove their identity when picking up their Duke Student Voter ID Card. The pickup process should take less than a minute. Unclaimed cards will be brought to the next card pickup event. Additional card pickup opportunities may be available this fall and will be communicated to card requesters via email. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
More information on North Carolina’s voter photo ID requirement can be found on this infosheet from the North Carolina State Board of Elections.
Frequently Asked Questions
North Carolina State Board of Elections Resources
- Infosheet: Voting as a College Student in NC
- Infosheet: NC Voter Photo ID Requirement
- North Carolina Voter ID Requirements
- Student & Public Employee IDs Approved for Voting
- Free photo ID card from county boards of elections for registered NC voters
- 10 Facts About NC’s Photo ID Requirement for Voting
- FAQ: Voter ID